Sunday, December 8, 2013

Random Wonder Woman Rant

In my last blog post I promised some thoughts on the new Wonder Woman casting announcement. I'm not going to recount the news, you're on the internet, look it up. anyway, I had some pretty strong feeling I wanted to relay, but it's been kind of a long, busy weekend and I didn't a chance to get my thoughts down, and now that I'm further away from it, I honestly don't care as much. So instead of an impassioned blog post, I'm just going to give you a few bullet points, in completely random order. Here goes:

  • I didn't care for Man of Steel. Just didn't really care for it. And it wasn't the bit at the end. It wasn't that Superman killed Zod. I didn't care. And that's why. I didn't care about any of those people at any point. So when Superman snapped Zod's neck it wasn't some betrayal of the ethical core of Superman's character. It was a generic hero killing the villain and then whining about it. The end. Is that Zack Snyder's fault? I don't know (probably). It felt like he was trying to hit all the superficial bits of Superman that everyone knows about without ever actually trying to create characters. Anyway, moving on.
  • Anyone who says Wonder Woman is tricky is wrong. Period. There is nothing more complicated about telling Wonder Woman's story than any other super hero. If you can write a Superman movie, and Batman movie, or a Captain America movie (set in WWII no less), you can write a Wonder Woman movie.
  • I am, still, about 92% certain DC and Warner Bros are making this movie up as they go along.
  • They keep adding heroes to this movie, and I think it means one of two things is likely to happen. The first is that, come SDCC '14, they'll announce that this was a Justice League movie all along. The second is that all these heroes will be in cameos, either peppered throughout the film or in some teaser capacity, or something like that. I read a comment on another site that mentioned a time-travel plot.
  • Seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros execs are trolling comment sections for story ideas right now. (Scratch that, they'd make the interns do it.)
  • I get that there's never been a Wonder Woman movie. And I absolutely agree that sexism is a part of that. But, at least in the last two years, Green Lantern is probably a bit bigger a part of that. Batman had three incredibly successful films before Batman and Robin killed the franchise, and then three more highly successful films. Superman has a similar series of successful films in the Christopher Reeves movies. Sure, they should have made a WW movie somewhere in there, but they didn't, and after Green Lantern tanked, I imagine they decided to only work with proven properties until they could get a proper franchise going again.
  • Let's not forget that this is still MoS 2. So while you complain that WW is playing second fiddle to Superman and Batman, keep in mind that Batman, who's had at least twice the number of successful films, is technically playing second fiddle to Superman. Like I said, making it up as they go.
  • Also, for those complaining that they cast an unknown as WW, she was in two incredibly successful action movies. And I had never heard of Henry Cavill before Man of Steel, so casting an unknown does not necessarily mean a lack of interest in the character. And I'm sorry that you really wanted Jamie Alexander (or whoever your personal must-have actor was), but she signed a contract with Marvel. Everyone gets mad when their dream cast doesn't happen. Personally I'm still holding out hope for the spinoff where Jane Foster and Sif team up to solve mysteries.
I had more, but I think I'm gonna stop now, as I'm getting pretty tired, and my list of bullet points is turning into a full-on rant. I don't think MoS 2 is going to be good. I don't think it'll matter, people will still go see it. (Unless 2015 is the Hollywood blockbuster apocalypse some people think it will be.) I think the actress has a good a chance to be a fantastic Wonder Woman as any of the more favored actresses. Even if DC announced a Wonder Woman solo movie tomorrow, they'd still have a long way to go to convince me they had any idea what they were doing and weren't just trying desperately to catch up with Marvel while having no idea how to do that.

My bigger question is, why do Batman and Superman have like 9 comic series between them, but Wonder Woman only has 1 (and a half if you count Superman Wonder Woman). I mean really, when I thought about it for more than twenty minutes I was able to come up with like three four solid WW story pitches.

And with that, I will call it a night.

P.S. - Matt Idelson, if by some weird accident you're reading this, I wasn't kidding about those pitches. Hit me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment