Monday, December 16, 2013

A Brief Interlude

I was at Target the other day, buying some Christmas gifts for nieces. I was wearing a Batman shirt. When I got to the checkout counter (and this is not the first time this has happened to me) the cashier, a young guy, late teens, maybe very early twenties, asked me how I felt about the casting of Affleck. I told him I wasn't really worried about it.

Of course he brought up Daredevil. I couldn't even tell you if I saw that movie. I don't really care much about it. We went back and forth, he seemed to be under the impression that Daredevil was made by the same people that have been making the current Marvel movies, and when I mentioned I didn't care for Man of Steel, he argued that that wasn't a Marvel movie. I was a bit confused about what his actual argument was.

It occurs to me sometimes that most people, out in the world, don't spend so much of their time reading about all this comic book and comic book movie and movie news. When they pay attention to the news, it's normal news sources, like CNN or the local news. The only news sites I frequent are comic book or "geek culture" news sites. Most of the people I follow on twitter or tumblr are in the comic book industry. I know all the details that are publicly available for most of these properties Most people don't do that. They have other things on their mind.

Still, I know I'd hate it if the only thing anyone ever remembered about me was some unfortunate incident that happened a decade ago, and every time I tried to accomplish something new, they just brought that one mistake up. People change, guys.

I don't really have a point to this. Just, the guy annoyed me. But hey, all my Christmas shopping is done!

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment