Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lantern Corps

Recently I've taken it upon myself to become more familiar with the Green Lanterns and the mythology surrounding them. I was reading some of the trades I found at the library, and I started to wonder about the rings. So, naturally, I looked it up on Wikipedia. Reading through the entry I got to the bit about the different colored rings, the 'Emotional Spectrum.'

I was aware that there were different colored Lanterns before, but seeing as how I was only vaguely familiar with the Green Lanterns, I didn't know really anything about the other colors, so I thought this part was pretty interesting. As I was reading through, I got a distinct feeling of familiarity.

So I'm pretty sure that whoever came up with all the different colored Lantern rings was probably playing some kind of RPG, and decided they wanted to make Lanterns out of all the different classes. You've got healers, you've got your black magic, your white magic, your magic that mimics other magic. It's like a Final Fantasy game stuck in the middle of the DCU.

That being said, I can't help but wonder why we don't have a Green Lantern-centric video game yet.

Anyway, definitely enjoying the Lantern stories so far, I wish I'd dug into this sooner. Might even say I like this mythology more than Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment